Saturday, April 27, 2013

Repurposing a T-shirt into a Necklace

There are many t-shirt re-purposing ideas that I'd like to try out and I decided to start with something fairly simple - making a necklace.

I made the necklace out of a shirt that had some holes in it (and therefore I didn't feel bad for cutting it up) and I also used some mint pearls and chain that I bought recently.

Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of the process of making the necklace but I will explain briefly what I did.


Firstly I measured how long I wanted the necklace to be.




Then I cut the chain according to that. I cut the jersey material a bit (maybe 10 cm) longer than the chain. 








I braided three of the jersey strips, made knots to one of the strips and left the others as they were.I did this to add some texture and make it a bit more interesting.



I took some thread and weaved it through the chain adding the beads at random distances. I'm not a fan of symmetry so the more asymmetric and random the better ;D
 Then I attached the chains and the jersey strips to a loop, kind of twisting/braiding them randomly so they would make a nice form. The fastener is quite bulky and heavy duty but I think it suits the look I was going for.
 

 Here is how I wore it the other day.


Hope you enjoyed and are having a great day!
I'll go and have a piece of carrot cake in celebration of getting 40 likes on my Facebook page Wohoo ;D
Ciao-ciao!

No comments: